Monday, March 30, 2009

Check Your Back Seat

So did anyone else grow up with a mom that made you frantic when you walked to your car late at night? You know-- you're in a parking lot, not too many people around, it's dark--you get the scenario?
Well since I was little I became accustomed to walking in a parking lot like I had direction, I don't talk on the phone, and I have my key out ready to stab someone if I get attacked. (I'm serious). And of course when I actually get to my car I never get in it if there is a molester van parked next to my door, I also check under the car to see if someone is hiding (cuz you know they slash your ankles right?) and then last check is the trunk and back seat to make sure no one is hiding.

After being married, I still do this with my husband at my side. He calls me frantic; I call it--hmmm--frantic--but I can't let this ritual go.

Well--last Wednesday I went to a class at the gym with a co-worker. After as we were walking out to our cars, I got in mine and sped off. Yet my friend, when she got to her car, found a little man hiding in the BACK SEAT! hellllllooooooooooo! (apparently her mom taught her to do the 'check' too).

I've never actually thought what I would do if I actually did do the 'hand swipe' behind the drivers seat (to check for a hiding sicko) and felt something, or if I actually saw someone under my car. BUT MY FRIEND DID--and luckily was able to scream for security and get him arrested.

So long story short:
1- props to my mom
2- my ritual will continue evermore vigorously
3- girls-be careful.

7 comments:

Jonathan Barker said...

R U SERIOUS?! I've NEVER heard of that happening! I feel sorry for Jimmy when you're doing that with him at your side though. lol

Heather and Spencer said...

Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elliebelle said...

whaaat??? I totally check my backseat too, but I didn't do it tonight after I left my friend's house (even though she lives in the hood . . . . oops!!) but I'm for sure doing it every time now. CREEPY.

PS: ask grandma to tell you about the time she came to visit us and found the homeless guy in her car.

Julia Everts said...

I've heard that story so many times about creepos in the back seats but wow, that makes it so much more real when it happens to someone you know! So glad she's okay! That could have been so bad!!!

Chelsea Nicole said...

This is crazy! I was always taught this and i still do it but never have i thought of what to do if there was someone there well because i never see it happen. That put's me in my place...

Emma said...

That is CRAZY! I'm so freaked out. I want to go buy some pepper spray now.

Judy Andreason said...

I always check my back seat. You never know what kind of crazies are out there.