Monday, October 20, 2008

Having Fun in the Sun

If Jimmy and I have one thing in common it is our love of water sports. Jimmy pretty much grew up on a boat and loves to wakeboard. Me, on the other hand, just picked it up along the way. Here is Jimmy and I on our friend Emily's boat in Park City taking turns wakesurfing. No he's not in the ocean, he's actually about 2 feet away from the edge of the boat surfing on the boat's wake. Jimmy still prefers wakeboarding to wakesurfing, but it is for sure my new love!
You start out holding onto the rope and slowly find your sweet spot in the boat's wake. Then you throw the rope into the boat and carve it up behind the boat. You're only going about 10 mph so if you fall, it doesn't hurt--heck you don't even have to get your hair wet. My favorite part is that you don't have to paddle out against the waves like you do surfing at the beach. The boat does all the work for you and you get to cruise the whole time.
Here is a friend Emily (left) and I attempting to surf at the same time. This is how you start
(off the back of the boat)
This is one of my old companions from the mission, Jade, who always dreamed about going on a boat. So when she got to the U.S. we decided to take her for a ride (and we also made her try wakeboarding of course-haha). She actually got up and rode for a while! It was great.Jimmy looking so buff and ready to surf it up!
Jimmy and I got SCUBA certified for free through my work. It was honestly one of the scariest things I've done because if you make a mistake, you're 60 feet below the surface and if you hold your breath, your lungs explode! You learn techniques for what to do if you run out of air or how to breathe underwater even without a mask. You even learn how to put your mask back on 60 feet underwater. We're planning a trip to Santa Cruz in December when the water is clearest.
Hang loose!Here's Jimmy and I at Santa Cruz after a day at the beach. Jimmy tried to teach me to skim board but after one-too-many falls I decided I was done.
Jimmy skim boarding.


1 comment:

Heather and Spencer said...

I tried skim boarding once. It was embarrassing, needless to say, I have never tried again!